Many of the blog posts that I have are based mainly on personal readings, research, and even experience. Some readers requested that I put more posts that are not intended solely for my skin, but other skin types as well. So, I was prodded to put up some posts that are intended to improve skin condition, for all.
If you haven’t read some of my highly rated posts, you can read them now before indulging in this new personal project of mine.
These articles give out suggestions on how you can get better skin without buying anything and changing some crazy habits that are destroying your skin, which you might not know about.
Many ‘skincare’ or ‘beauty’ guru already has good skin, to begin with. I mean, let’s face it, some won the genetic lottery for healthy skin even if their habits say otherwise. My siblings survive on caffeine and late nights, and all they have to do for their routine is to splash their face with water, and yet they are the ones with divine-looking skin.
I named this project “Real skin. Real Problems. Real Solutions” because I want it to serve as a reminder that what the media portrays as the ‘perfect skin’ is far from reality, but it doesn’t mean that we can’t try to look our best.
For this project, I talked to some people, and as much as possible I tried to make the group as diverse as possible- regardless of their sex, age, and even skin type!
For the first post in this series. I will be posting the skincare routine I got from men. If you know someone who could use some of the tips I learned as well, I hope that you can share them this post!
To do this project, I just had to ask them about the current skin problems they are facing, how it affected their view of themselves, and the products that helped them get through it.
Benz Alonzo (@benzalonzo on Instagram) is a 29-year old male with a combination and acne-prone skin type. Dr. Benz is a doctor at Beaufaces PH and a Cosmetic Surgery Trainee of Pan Pacific Aesthetic Institute. He is the man behind @histhetics.skin the very informative Instagram page that discusses facts and helpful skin tips for men.
The skin concerns that he has included having an uneven skin tone and acne-prone skin, which for him is a complete “confidence or self-esteem buster”.
The products that helped him deal with his problems are listed below:
An unphotographed product that works wonders for oily and acne-prone skin also includes Azelane Soap, Sesderma Azelac.
Dean Arenas (@deanclrk on Instagram) is a 23-year old male from Manila with a combination-sensitive skin type. His problems include his big pores around the cheek area. His skin also tends to become very dry or oily depending on the weather. Even though he is an advocate for self-love and acceptance, his skin concerns make him more self-conscious in a way that he gets insecure with his skin.
His 6-step routine is just the ‘staple’ for those who want to have better skin. Check out the products that he uses down below.
Products that helped him deal with his concerns include:
“These products are my holy grail. They made my skin healthy”
1. Facial cleanser: Match Hemp Facial Cleanser by Krave Beauty
2. (Toner) Kale-lalu-yAHA by Krave Beauty – this product helps me with deep cleansing my face plus it also helps with tightening my pores.
3. (For uneven skin tone) Niacinamide + Zinc and Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate both by The Ordinary – both these products helped even out my skin tone and also helped in tightening my pores. Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is a water-based derivative of Vit. C. I use MAP because niacinamide cancels out the effects of vitamin C hence, it won’t take effect. I wouldn’t want to waste my money. After thorough research, Niacinamide + MAP worked wonders for me.
4. (Facial mist) Mario Badescu facial spray with aloe, herbs and rosewater – my holy grail facial mist! I know ang daming bashers ng Mario Badescu but this is their only product that I use. It has no alcohol content AND super nakaka-fresh in the morning kahit puyat ka.
5. Any moisturizer with NO alcohol content will do. (Choose moisturizers with little to no fragrance)
6. Sunscreen! – I opted not to use sunscreen because they usually make my skin very oily. But when I started using Biorè’s UV ARWE, I made sunscreen a permanent part of my skincare routine. It doesn’t make me oily and it dries up quickly! Plus of course the protection it provides against the UV rays we get from being exposed to the sun.
Raymund (@raymundnhoel on Instagram) Orozco is an Occupational Therapist and a fitness enthusiast. He is a 24-year old male with oily skin. His current skin concerns include having oily skin and having eyebags.
If you think that you can’t achieve that ‘better skin’ because of your physically active lifestyle, then you have to read Raymund’s routine down below.
“Well, having oily skin has its benefits, but when you have it almost the entire day, it’s somehow frustrating at some point. It affects my self-esteem.” He answered, when asked about his skin concerns affect him.
These are the products that Ray uses to deal with his skin concerns.
If there is one thing that you could learn from these gentlemen, it’s that there is no better time to take care of your skin than now.
Until you read from me again.